Martin Short still communicates with late wife Nancy Dolman – nine years after her death.
The Inherent Vice star was married to Nancy for 30 years before she died in 2010 after losing her battle with ovarian cancer. And while he admitted that being without his spouse is “tough”, Martin added to AARP magazine that he frequently talks to her.
“Our marriage was a triumph,” he smiled. “I still communicate with her all the time. It’s ‘Hey, Nan,’ you know?”
The actor shares three children with Nancy – Katherine, 35, Oliver, 32, and Henry, 29. And when it comes to his late partner, Martin strongly believes that she watches over their family.
“I believe that when people die, they zoom into the people that love them,” he mused. “This idea that it just ends, and don’t speak of them – that’s wrong. That’s based on denial that we’re all going to die. So to me, she’s still here.”
Martin also revealed that Nancy’s death “emboldened me to take risks”, adding: “With real tragedy, you become a little more daring. It’s the yin to the yang: the positive part of life’s dark side.”
@repost Domestic Arrangements
Moviemakers behind a new film about Celine Dion have clarified reports suggesting the project will be a biopic, insisting it will actually be a fictional homage.
French actress and director Valerie Lemercier will portray a character similar to the My Heart Will Go On hitmaker in The Power Of Love, which will centre on a young girl named Aline, a singer from a large Canadian family who is discovered in her teens and goes on to become one of the biggest acts in the world.
Aline also experiences tragedy when her husband dies, just like Dion’s spouse Rene Angelil, who passed away in 2016.
While many reports suggested the film would centre on Dion’s life from the 1960s to the present day, bosses at French studio Gaumont insist it will only be inspired by elements of Celine’s journey. The names of the film’s characters will differ from those in Dion’s life and some details will also be altered.
However, the project will feature some of the 50-year-old’s music.
“(We invite viewers to) discover the incredible story of Celine Dion through the tender, funny gaze of Valerie Lemercier, who pays her a vibrant homage,” a message reads.
Production will begin in March and take place in France, Spain, Canada, and Las Vegas. It will be released in France in December 2020.
@repost Collaborative Family Law
LAVAL, Que. — A psychiatrist who testified in defence of a Quebec mother on trial for the deaths of her two daughters said she appeared to have been having a “dissociative episode” the day they died.
Gilles Chamberland told the court he didn’t believe Adele Sorella was faking amnesia when she told the court she didn’t remember much about the day her daughters Amanda and Sabrina De Vito died.
Sorella’s lawyers also reminded the court of the Criminal Code section of criminal non-responsibility by way of mental disorder as her first-degree murder trial continued.
Sorella has testified that she remembers only fragments of March 31, 2009, such as seeing the children in the morning and driving her car.
The girls, aged 8 and 9, were found dead in the family playroom, dressed in their school uniforms.
The cause of death was never established, but the Crown has said the girls had been in good health and that only Sorella would have been able to cause their deaths.
@repost Domestic Relationship Agreement
MELFORT, Sask. — The truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash says he takes full responsibility for the collision that killed 16 people and injured 13 others.
“It happened because of my lack of experience and I’m so, so, so, so sorry,” Jaskirat Singh Sidhu said as he stood and faced the victims’ families in a Melfort, Sask., courtroom on Thursday.
Sidhu told the families he can’t imagine what they are going through and realizes he took “the most valuable things of your life.”
The judge said she will hand down her sentence on March 22.
Seeking maximum driving prohibition
Sidhu’s defence lawyers made no recommendation as to what the sentence should be for their client, but cited other dangerous driving cases that led to sentences ranging from 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 years behind bars.
Crown prosecutor Thomas Healey suggested 10 years and referenced a case that had a sentence of six years.
Sidhu faces a maximum sentence of 14 years for dangerous driving causing death and 10 years for dangerous driving causing bodily harm.
The Crown is also asking for the maximum driving prohibition of 10 years.
Watch: Father of Broncos bus crash victim discusses delivering a victim impact statement. Story continues below.
Healey said Sidhu was travelling between 86 and 96 km/hr when he passed four signs warning about the upcoming intersection before he came across an oversized stop sign with a flashing light.
“Mr. Sidhu had more than enough time to bring the semi to a complete stop,” said Healey.
He said Sidhu should have seen the busy highway coming up right in front of him or a car stopped across the road that was waiting for the Broncos bus to pass.
“How do you miss that? It’s just astounding,” Healey said. “All he had to do was stop. That’s all.”
Healey said it wasn’t a case of rolling through a stop sign.
“This was more like a rocket,” he said. “There was no where for the bus driver, Glen Doerksen, to go …. He tried. He did all he could do.
“This wasn’t just an accident. This was a crime.”
Several family members of the victims have said their one big question is why?
This wasn’t just an accident. This was a crime.Thomas Healey, Crown prosecutor
Sidhu’s lawyer Mark Brayford told court Thursday that he couldn’t given them an answer.
“I’m disappointed to say that I can’t tell people what happened,” he said. “He simply doesn’t know.”
“He beats himself up everyday. ‘Why didn’t I see the signs? Why didn’t I stop?'”
Brayford said his client was having trouble with the tarps on his load and he was inappropriately focused on that problem.
“His attention was on his two mirrors. I suggest a classic case of his inexperience working against them,” he said. “That’s his responsibility.”
More from HuffPost Canada:
He said there’s no evidence Sidhu deliberately chose to blow through the intersection, otherwise he would have been charged with criminal negligence.
Brayford added that any sentence over six months will likely mean his client is deported, because he is not a Canadian citizen.
Earlier Thursday, the Crown prosecutor told court that the Criminal Code was changed months after the crash to increase the maximum penalty for dangerous driving causing death to life in prison and to a maximum 14 years for dangerous driving causing bodily harm.
But he noted that Sidhu must be sentenced under the previous law.
TORONTO — Relatives of a woman whose dismembered remains were found behind a Toronto butcher shop wept with relief Thursday as the man accused in her death was found guilty of second-degree murder.
Ian Ohab had admitted he cut up Melissa Cooper’s body nearly three years ago but maintained she died of a drug overdose in his apartment. He pleaded guilty to causing indignity to a body but not guilty to second-degree murder.
His account did not sway the jurors, however, who deliberated for roughly eight hours before returning with their decision. Ohab sat still and expressionless, staring straight ahead as they announced the verdict.
Second-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for 10 to 25 years. Ontario Superior Court Justice Suhail Akhtar asked jurors to weigh in on how long Ohab should wait to become eligible for parole, and the majority said 25 years.
A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for March 26, when Cooper’s relatives and friends will also be given a chance to tell the court how her murder has affected them.
Cooper’s stepfather, Alan Ball, said Thursday’s ruling brought some satisfaction to her grieving family.
“It doesn’t change anything, but I believe they got a predator, a monster, off the streets,” he said outside court.
Cooper’s drug use was played up during trial, but she was the victim, Ball said. She was her mother’s best friend and she nurtured relationships with people from all walks of life, he said.
“She was a person and a very good person. They made it out that she was just a drug addict that was going there for drugs — no, she knew many people (in the building),” he said.
“She was street smart, she knew what was going on, would never put herself in a situation where there’s danger.”
Cooper, 30, went missing in April 2016 and court heard some of her remains were never found. Her lower torso was found behind a butcher shop in east Toronto and one of her arms was discovered on the conveyor belt of a recycling plant in the city’s north.
Prosecutors had argued Ohab lured Cooper into his home and attacked her, then cut her body into pieces and dumped some of them in the trash to cover up his crimes.
They said it appeared Cooper was wandering the building looking to purchase crack cocaine after visiting a friend when she ran into Ohab in the elevator. Surveillance video showed them getting out together and heading towards his apartment, court heard.
She was never seen alive again and her cellphone, which she was known to use constantly, became inactive shortly afterwards, court heard.
An autopsy could not determine what caused her death given how few of her remains were recovered, court heard. There was, however, extensive bruising on her lower torso, which can only form when there is blood circulation, it heard. Those bruises were not spotted earlier in the night by a friend with whom Cooper had sex, court heard.
And while forensics experts found cocaine and alcohol in a muscle sample, they could not perform toxicology tests, which require blood or urine.
Ohab initially denied Cooper’s DNA was in his home but a forensic biologist found her blood under the bathroom tiles and in several other places, court heard. He then testified some of her blood may have transferred from the saw he used to cut up her body.
The defence, meanwhile, had said there was no evidence Ohab killed Cooper.
Lawyer Philip Klumak said Ohab panicked after finding Cooper dead and, while under the influence of drugs, decided to dispose of her body.
He said Ohab did not want to call paramedics because his partner had died from a fentanyl overdose in his home a few months earlier, and he did not want to be investigated again.
@repost How to Get a Divorce In