Day: February 18, 2019

021719-Anthony_Weiner_Released

021719-Anthony_Weiner_Released

AYER, Mass. — Disgraced former Congressman Anthony Weiner has been released from federal prison after being convicted of having illicit online contact with a 15-year-old girl in 2017.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons website shows the 54-year-old New York Democrat is currently in the custody of its Residential Re-entry Management office in Brooklyn, New York.

It’s not immediately clear when Weiner was transferred and where he’s staying now, but Weiner will have to register as a sex-offender and spend three years on supervised release under the terms of his sentence.

The prison bureau and Weiner’s lawyer didn’t respond to emails seeking comment Sunday. Federal prosecutors in New York referred an inquiry to the prison bureau.

Weiner began serving a 21-month prison sentence at the Federal Medical Center Devens, located about 40 miles (64 kilometres) west of Boston in Ayer, Massachusetts, in November 2017.

The bureau website shows Weiner is slated to complete his sentence May 14, a few months earlier than scheduled because of good conduct in prison.

A once-rising star in the Democratic Party who served nearly 12 years in Congress, Weiner had a dramatic and sordid fall from grace after he sent a lewd picture of himself to a college student over Twitter in 2011.

Weiner initially claimed his account had been hacked, then admitted he’d had inappropriate online interactions with at least six other women while married to top Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin.

Weiner resigned from Congress that year but mounted a campaign for New York City mayor in 2013.

But his personal behaviour was again his undoing after it was disclosed he sent explicit photos under the alias “Carlos Danger” to at least one woman after resigning from Congress.

Weiner ultimately garnered less than 5 per cent of the vote in the Democratic primary.

His final fall came in 2017 after prosecutors say he sent a series of sexually explicit messages to a North Carolina high school student. Weiner pleaded guilty to transferring obscene material to a minor.

At his sentencing, he said he’d been a “very sick man for a very long time” because of his sex addiction.

Weiner’s attorney said the ex-lawmaker likely exchanged thousands of messages with hundreds of women over the years and was communicating with up to 19 women when he encountered the teenager.

Abedin also filed for divorce from Weiner in 2017. But the two, who have a young son together, later agreed to discontinue the case in order to negotiate their separation privately.

@repost Family Law Firm

Via I Want a Divorce

source https://canoe.com/news/world/disgraced-ex-lawmaker-anthony-weiner-released-from-prison

By The Wall of Law February 18, 2019 Off

Miranda Lambert

Miranda Lambert

Will Miranda Lambert be embroiled in another homewrecking scandal? Her new husband Brendan Mcloughlin had a child with another woman just weeks before marrying the country star, RadarOnline.com has learned.

The news follows Lambert dating married singer Evan Felker last year. As Radar readers know, Lambert was embroiled in controversy after it was revealed her beau Felker was married — and a source said he had left his wife for the star!

Felker and his spouse Staci Nelson divorced, but he and Lambert split up last summer.

Now, Lambert has baffled followers by walking down the aisle with Mcloughlin. And his life is just as complicated as her previous boyfriend Felker’s! The New York City police officer welcomed a child with a baby mama in November 2018, making Mcloughlin the father of a 3-month-old, as a baby registry proves.

PEOPLE also confirmed that McLoughlin recently welcomed a child from a “previous relationship.”

Lambert stunned fans on Saturday by announcing she’d recently wed Mcloughlin, who was a complete mystery man.

The “Somethin’ Bad” singer had kept her new love tightly under wraps, but she posted a happy outdoor photo on Instagram of them getting married.

Lambert captioned it, “In honor of Valentine’s Day I wanted to share some news. I met the love of my life. And we got hitched! My heart is full. Thank you Brendan Mcloughlin for loving me for…. me.”

The star, who previously divorced Blake Shelton, wore a wedding dress and hung all over her handsome new husband. A rep for the singer confirmed the marriage, adding that it happened a while ago. Now, Radar has learned more about hunky Mcloughlin.

He’s lived far away from Lambert’s country world, working as a New York Police Department officer. In a recent tweet by the N.Y.P.D.’s Midtown South Precinct, McLoughlin posed with a police dog. “Officer McLoughlin with Kybo at today’s doggy diving event,” it said.

Lambert’s new husband is also a fitness enthusiast, winning a trophy in a 5K race for ”#NYPD Keith Ferguson Memorial 5k Brooklyn Bridge Run!” Mcloughlin reportedly also once tried to be a model. He created a profile on Model Mayhem, a site that allows models to find jobs.

Mcloughlin, now a cop, shared a shirtless photo and wrote on his model page at the time, “I am 19 years old and live in New York. I am on this site to build my portfolio.”

He added, “My style is all american boy/ abercrombie/ sporty but I’m open minded, so feel free to network with me, share your ideas, and organize sessions.”

@repost Divorce Separation

Via Child Custody Schedules

source https://canoe.com/entertainment/celebrity/miranda-lambert-announces-shes-married-to-boyfriend-brendan-mcloughlin

By The Wall of Law February 18, 2019 Off

Miranda Lambert

Miranda Lambert

Will Miranda Lambert be embroiled in another homewrecking scandal? Her new husband Brendan Mcloughlin had a child with another woman just weeks before marrying the country star, RadarOnline.com has learned.

The news follows Lambert dating married singer Evan Felker last year. As Radar readers know, Lambert was embroiled in controversy after it was revealed her beau Felker was married — and a source said he had left his wife for the star!

Felker and his spouse Staci Nelson divorced, but he and Lambert split up last summer.

Now, Lambert has baffled followers by walking down the aisle with Mcloughlin. And his life is just as complicated as her previous boyfriend Felker’s! The New York City police officer welcomed a child with a baby mama in November 2018, making Mcloughlin the father of a 3-month-old, as a baby registry proves.

PEOPLE also confirmed that McLoughlin recently welcomed a child from a “previous relationship.”

Lambert stunned fans on Saturday by announcing she’d recently wed Mcloughlin, who was a complete mystery man.

The “Somethin’ Bad” singer had kept her new love tightly under wraps, but she posted a happy outdoor photo on Instagram of them getting married.

Lambert captioned it, “In honor of Valentine’s Day I wanted to share some news. I met the love of my life. And we got hitched! My heart is full. Thank you Brendan Mcloughlin for loving me for…. me.”

The star, who previously divorced Blake Shelton, wore a wedding dress and hung all over her handsome new husband. A rep for the singer confirmed the marriage, adding that it happened a while ago. Now, Radar has learned more about hunky Mcloughlin.

He’s lived far away from Lambert’s country world, working as a New York Police Department officer. In a recent tweet by the N.Y.P.D.’s Midtown South Precinct, McLoughlin posed with a police dog. “Officer McLoughlin with Kybo at today’s doggy diving event,” it said.

Lambert’s new husband is also a fitness enthusiast, winning a trophy in a 5K race for ”#NYPD Keith Ferguson Memorial 5k Brooklyn Bridge Run!” Mcloughlin reportedly also once tried to be a model. He created a profile on Model Mayhem, a site that allows models to find jobs.

Mcloughlin, now a cop, shared a shirtless photo and wrote on his model page at the time, “I am 19 years old and live in New York. I am on this site to build my portfolio.”

He added, “My style is all american boy/ abercrombie/ sporty but I’m open minded, so feel free to network with me, share your ideas, and organize sessions.”

@repost Child Support Rules

Via Common Law Divorce

source https://canoe.com/entertainment/celebrity/miranda-lambert-announces-shes-married-to-boyfriend-brendan-mcloughlin

By The Wall of Law February 18, 2019 Off

Outrage Builds Against ‘Discriminatory’ Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program

One of the images designed by a member of the Facebook group

As an only child, the burden of responsibility on Penny Li to care for her aging parents is particularly heavy. When Li, 31, finally became a Canadian citizen last year — eight years after she began a University of Saskatchewan master’s program and secured a lucrative living in the commodity trading industry — finding a way to bring her mother and father closer was the first thing on her wish list.

Health concerns and imminent retirement made frequent travel financially and physically precarious for the couple. Li dreamed of her parents coming to Canada for more than six months at a time — the stretch allotted for visits on a temporary visa.

Just before the immigration department’s brand-new Parent and Grandparent (PGP) sponsorship site was set to go live on Jan. 28 — a departure from last year’s controversial lottery system — Li assembled her documents, double-checked her Wi-Fi connection and anxiously awaited her shot.

The first hurdle was to successfully submit an “interest to sponsor” form, which would be added to a pile of 27,000 on a first-come, first-serve basis. Later, those 27,000 people would be vetted for eligibility and invited to apply for one of 20,000 spots available this year.

Saskatoon resident Penny Li hoped to sponsor her parents through the 2019 Parent and Grandparent sponsorship program. She says the process was discriminatory and poorly designed.

Li felt like she was bidding on concert tickets. When the form appeared at 12 p.m. EST, she diligently filled in all the required information. Although after-the-fact corrections could be submitted via email, the government advised that the process would take around 10 minutes. She was confident she had plenty of time to get it right the first time, and figured it was wrong to submit an incomplete or mistake-riddled form to the government.

But when Li hit “submit,” a notification informed her that the 27,000 quota had been filled and the program was closed. It had been nine minutes since the site had gone live.

“It was devastating,” Li said. “I was in complete shock, because I had done everything exactly as they told me to.”

Li wasn’t alone. Messages of disappointment began to bubble up on social media. Some people reported receiving the same message around the same time, others said they could not access the form at all.

I was in complete shock because I had done everything exactly as they told me to.Penny Li, would-be sponsor

More than 100,000 people attempted to access the interest to sponsor form at noon on Jan. 28, Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said in a statement. In response to the mounting complaints, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) said there was no evidence of technical issues, and that the number of would-be sponsors simply exceeded the number of spots available for them.

“It is important to note that the Department did extensive testing to ensure systems were able to handle the volume,” Mathieu Genest, a spokesman for Hussen, told HuffPost Canada. “In addition, IRCC also implemented anti-bot features in order to ensure that submissions received were legitimate.”

Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Ahmed Hussen in Ottawa on Feb. 4, 2019.

Li was dissatisfied with the government’s response, so she took to Facebook where a group for failed applicants began to organize within hours of the form closing. Concerns in the Re-thinking Canadian Parents and Grandparents Immigration Program group included discrimination on the basis of physical typing ability and digital savvy, superior English or French language comprehension and access to reliable and fast internet — none of which are criteria for sponsorship itself.

Natalia Korobkova, who works for global nonprofit World Vision International, is one of the group’s administrators. She is managing the group’s petition and helping organize a series of protests across the country set to take place Monday — which is Family Day in many provinces, coincidentally.

“People lost out in a huge way because of the government’s poor design and communication,” Korobkova said. She was not able to submit the sponsorship form for her grandmother in Russia and her mother in Costa Rica. “There was the assumption that you should be very detailed and accurate and take your time, like every government form, but that was not the case. In fact, it was simply a competition of who could type the fastest.”

People lost out in a huge way because of the government’s poor design and communication.Natalia Korobkova, organizer

Vancouver lawyer Will Tao believes there is a solid case to be made under Sec. 15. (1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which guarantees equality rights “without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.” His firm has stepped in to represent 30 complainants in a motion to stop IRCC from further processing.

His firm, Edelmann & Co., was approached by two people whose physically disabilities barred them from fully participating: one person with a temporary hand injury and another who is dyslexic. The firm is trying to cover one of these clients through their pro bono funds.

The government has not responded directly to the petition or the pending legal action.

“They are taking a wait-and-see approach,” Tao said. “They won’t rush to follow-up because they think this will cool off. But the momentum is growing.”

Some applicants paid for outside representation

Some would-be sponsors also hired outside law firms to fill the form on their behalf. While the practice was not explicitly prohibited by the government, Li felt it stacked the chances of success in favour of those with cash to spare.

“If you don’t ban that [the use of outside representation] outright, it’s discriminatory against people who don’t have the means to hire professionals who speak perfect English or French, and can fill out legal forms very fast,” she said.

Li found several ads on Chinese social media app WeChat offering clients a range of services in relation to PGP sponsorship, including filling out and submitting the form.

It is unclear, however, whether hiring outside helped put an applicant ahead of the curb: Toronto-based lawyer Wennie Lee told the Toronto Star only half of her firm’s clients were able to submit applications.

More from HuffPost Canada:

Problems with the PGP program are not new. But the Liberals have made family reunification a centrepiece of their immigration platform, and protesters charge the program’s shortcomings don’t square with that commitment.

“The majority of people who are protesting are Canadian citizens for many years,” Korobkova said. “But we are considered second-rate compared to Canadians whose families are already in the country.”

“The more years pass, the more immigrants will be welcome to Canada, the more immigrants will want to live fulfilled lives with their families,” she added. “How do we ensure that all Canadians are equal? How do we ensure social cohesion? These are the questions the government must answer.”

So far, the government is staying tight-lipped about any possible changes to next year’s PGP program.

“While IRCC regularly reviews its programs, policies and procedures to assess whether changes or improvements should be made, no formal review of the program is being done at this time,” Genest said in an email to HuffPost. “It is too early to speculate on any future program or policy changes.”

Also on HuffPost:

@repost Marriage Separation

Via Separation Spousal Support

source https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/02/17/outrage-builds-against-discriminatory-parent-and-grandparent-sponsorship-program_a_23671447/

By The Wall of Law February 18, 2019 Off

Roopesh Rajkumar, Charged With Daughter’s Death, Suffered Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound

Police and media are seen near a house where a young girl was found dead in Brampton, Ont. on Feb. 15, 2019.

Police say a man charged with first-degree murder in the death of his daughter is in hospital with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Roopesh Rajkumar, 41, was charged in 11-year-old Riya Rajkumar’s death after the girl’s body was found in his Brampton, Ont., home shortly after an Amber Alert was issued late Thursday night.

Peel regional police say they were called by Riya’s mother after the child’s father failed to return her home from her birthday celebrations.

Riya Rajkumar, 11, and Roopesh Rajkumar, 41, are seen in this undated police handout photo.

Police say Rajkumar was arrested by provincial police shortly after Riya’s body was found and was taken to hospital for injuries.

Const. Danny Marttini says Rajkumar’s injury wasn’t discovered until provincial police transferred him into the custody of Peel police.

More from HuffPost Canada:

Marttini says Rajkumar was then brought to a hospital, where the gunshot wound was discovered.

She says details of the injuries weren’t immediately released because investigators were still gathering information.

Officers say the province’s police watchdog was notified of his injury, but decided to not investigate the circumstances surrounding it.

Marttini says police are not releasing further details about the Rajkumar’s injuries.

She says police are also not releasing information on Riya’s cause of death.

Police say Rajkumar is in custody, and will have a court appearance once his doctors say he is well enough.

Also on HuffPost:

@repost Divorce Documents

Via Asset Division Agreement

source https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/02/17/roopesh-rajkumar-charged-with-riya-rajkumar-death-suffered-self-inflicted-wound_a_23671480/

By The Wall of Law February 18, 2019 Off