A mother is in custody and will be charged with attempted murder after her two young children were found with stab wounds inside a Toronto apartment.
Authorities were called to a North York apartment building, in the Weston Road and Finch Avenue area, just after 10 a.m. on Saturday morning.
Police said when they arrived they located two children, a six-month-old girl and a four-year-old boy, suffering from stab wounds inside an apartment unit.
A video sent to CTV News Toronto by a viewer shows a woman being led into the back of a police cruiser in handcuffs. It also shows what appears to be the children being carried into an ambulance.
The children were rushed to SickKids Hospital with serious injuries, police said. Their injuries were initially deemed life-threatening but police later said their condition improved and are expected to survive.
Const. Alex Li said the 36-year-old mother, who was arrested at the scene, will be charged with two counts of attempted murder and two counts of aggravated assault.
“This is a very serious stabbing and we’re taking this very seriously,” Li said. “We have deployed our available resources to look into the matter… You can expect an active crime scene.”
“Having young children myself, I couldn’t imagine that type of trauma and injury,” Li said.
Anyone with information is being urged to contact police or Crime Stoppers.
@repost Equalization Payments Family Law
A boy and a girl have been rushed to hospital with serious injuries after paramedics were called to a Toronto property for a stabbing.
Authorities were called to a North York home, in the Jane Street and Finch Avenue, just after 10 a.m. on Saturday morning.
Paramedics said a boy and girl were transported to hospital, one with potentially life-threatening injuries. Paramedics would not confirm if the children had been stabbed.
The ages of the children have not been released.
Toronto police said a woman is in custody in connection with the incident.
This is a developing news story. More information to come.
@repost Custody Lawyers
NEW DELHI: India’s coronavirus cases have passed 800,000 with the biggest spike of 27,114 cases in the past 24 hours, causing nearly a dozen states to impose a partial lockdown in high-risk areas.
The new confirmed cases took the national total to 820,916. The Health Ministry on Saturday also reported another 519 deaths for a total of 22,123.
A surge in infections saw the cases jumping from 600,000 to more than 800,000 in nine days. The ministry said the recovery rate was continuing to improve at more than 62%.
Eight of India’s 28 states, including the worst-hit Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and New Delhi, account for nearly 90% of all infections.
The most populous state of Uttar Pradesh, with nearly 230 million people, imposed a weekend lockdown while several others announced restrictions in districts reporting major spikes.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE VIRUS OUTBREAK:
— Trump undercuts health experts — again — in schools debate
— US bets on untested company to deliver COVID-19 vaccine
— COVID hits dozens of Latin leaders, including presidents
— Some pastors are ignoring a new California ban on singing or chanting in church to slow the spread of the coronavirus. The American Center for Law and Justice, which has ties to President Donald Trump, is encouraging church leaders to defy the order and says it will sue the state.
— In his push to get schools and colleges to reopen this fall, President Donald Trump is again taking aim at their finances, this time threatening their tax-exempt status.
— The coronavirus storm has arrived in South Africa and COVID-19 wards are overflowing. Medical oxygen is already low in hospitals at the epicenter of the country’s outbreak, Gauteng province, home to the power centres of Johannesburg and the capital, Pretoria.
Follow all of AP’s pandemic coverage at https://ift.tt/2xPjH8c and https://ift.tt/2wrCaXK
HERE’S WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING:
BEIJING — New coronavirus cases have dropped sharply in China, and authorities are turning their attention to concerns that the virus could spread through imported food.
Those worries have risen since a June outbreak in Beijing that was linked to the city’s largest wholesale market.
Testing has been stepped up on incoming food shipments, and on Friday customs officials said they are halting imports from three Ecuadorian shrimp producers after tests showed the virus present in recent shipments.
Authorities say the coronavirus was detected on the outer packaging of the shipments July 3. The inner packaging and the shrimp themselves tested negative. Products from the three companies received after March 12 have been ordered to be returned or destroyed.
SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea has reported 35 new cases of the coronavirus, bringing its caseload to 13,373 infections and 288 deaths.
South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Saturday that 13 of the new cases were in the densely populated Seoul metropolitan area, which has been at the centre of a virus resurgence since late May.
Infections were also reported in other major cities such Daejeon and Gwangju, where patients have been tied to various places, including churches, a Buddhist temple, churches, nursing homes and a sauna.
Fifteen of the new cases were linked to international arrivals as the virus continues to spread in Asia, North America and elsewhere.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Kentucky’s governor says a new requirement for people to wear face masks in public took effect at 5 p.m. Friday despite a judge’s restraining order related to pandemic restrictions though not specifically on the face covering rule.
Gov. Andy Beshear says the mask mandate is “mandatory, regardless of anything else that’s out there.”
The Scott County court judge issued an order Thursday blocking the governor from issuing executive orders related to the pandemic unless he first meets a list of requirements.
Beshear calls the restraining order “bizarre” and “not legal.” He says the ruling will be appealed and likely end up before the Kentucky Supreme Court.
Newly reported cases of COVID-19 have increased in recent days in Kentucky, prompting Beshear to issue the 30-day order requiring masks in public places.
CANBERRA, Australia — Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration has given provisional approval to the drug remdesivir, an experimental medicine that has shown promise in the recovery time of the most seriously ill COVID-19 patients.
The approval comes as Australia is seeing a sharp increase in coronavirus infections in the state of Victoria, which reported a record 288 new confirmed cases Friday.
Authorities say remdesivir will be available only to patients who are severely ill, require oxygen or high-level support to breathe, and are in hospital care. It is the only drug licensed by both the U.S. and the European Union as a treatment for people with severe illness from the coronavirus.
With a population of 26 million, Australia has recorded more than 9,000 coronavirus cases, with 107 deaths.
AUSTIN, Texas — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says “things will get worse” in the state as more than 10,000 patients are now hospitalized with the coronavirus.
The deadliest week of the pandemic yet in Texas continued Friday with 95 new deaths.
On the Texas-Mexico border, Starr County Judge Eloy Vera says his rural community is trying to get a refrigerated trailer because the local funeral home can’t keep up with more than two bodies a day.
Texas members of Congress are asking the Trump administration for a field hospital in the Rio Grande Valley. They warn in a letter sent Friday to the health and human services secretary Azar that there is “no indication that case counts will level out soon.”
SALEM, Ore. — Oregon health officials are urging people to limit indoor social gatherings to fewer than 10 people during the next three weeks amid a “troubling” surge in coronavirus cases.
New projections by the Oregon Health Authority predict that if transmission of the virus continues at the current pace, the estimated number of new daily, confirmed infections could reach anywhere from 1,100 to 3,600.
The director of the Oregon Health Authority says that “we are calling on Oregonians to take action, to help us bring down the spread of COVID-19 and get it under control so we can again bend the curve back down.”
Oregon officials reported 275 new confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 cases Friday, bringing the total statewide to 11,454. There have been at least 232 deaths.
HARRISBURG, Pa. — Confirmed coronavirus infections in Pennsylvania hit over 1,000 on Friday in the state’s highest one-day mark since May, with state health officials blaming the rising numbers on crowded bars and out-of-state travel to virus hot spots.
Pennsylvania reported more than 1,000 new confirmed infections for the first time since May 10. About 175 of the newly reported cases arose from a batch of private lab results, according to the state Health Department.
Health officials reported another 32 virus-related deaths, raising the statewide toll to 6,880.
State health officials warned in an alert to hospitals, doctors offices and other heath care providers that increasing numbers of young people are contracting the virus. The Health Department also said that local outbreaks are being traced to out-of-state travel and to parties, restaurants, bars and other social gatherings.
RALEIGH, N.C. — A North Carolina state senator has tested positive for COVID-19, the first known case to involve a General Assembly member.
The senator wasn’t named in a statement from Senate leader Phil Berger, who says it’s a Republican male.
Berger says the senator had already taken a test that came back negative before returning to Raleigh this week. He took a second test Thursday because his spouse was scheduled for a medical procedure. That test came back positive Friday, according to Berger.
The senator hasn’t had any symptoms during this period. Berger says: “He is staying home and feels well.”
Legislators, especially Democrats, have sought more restrictions and criticized legislators — mostly Republicans — who have declined to wear face coverings indoors.
The full legislature isn’t expected to return to work until September.
The Associated Press
@repost Filing for Separation
Convicted mobster Pasquale (Pat) Musitano was shot to death in broad daylight at a plaza in Burlington, Ont. on Friday afternoon.
Shortly after 1 p.m., emergency crews were called to the area of Plains Road East and King Road for reports of a shooting.
Upon arrival at the scene, officers said they located two male victims suffering from gunshot wounds. One victim was pronounced dead at the scene and the other was transported to hospital with serious injuries.
A third male victim was located at the scene with unknown injuries. Officers said he was not shot.
The deceased male has since been identified by police as Pat. He was 52 years old.
Pat was a well-known fixture of Ontario’s organized crime scene for many years.
Pat and his brother Angelo were charged with first-degree murder in the 1997 deaths of Hamilton mob boss Johnny “Pops” Papalia and his underboss Carmen Barillaro. The hitman who pleaded guilty in both shootings said the Musitano brothers had ordered the killings. The brothers pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder in Barillaro’s death as part of a plea deal and the charges relating to Papalia’s death were withdrawn.
The brothers were sentenced to 10 years behind bars in 2000 and were released from prison in 2006.
On May 2, 2017, Angelo was fatally gunned down while sitting in his vehicle in the driveway of his home in Hamilton, Ont.’s Waterdown neighbourhood. He was 39 years old.
One man was arrested in connection with Angelo’s death and two other suspects are wanted on Canada-wide warrants.
Meanwhile, Pat’s vehicle was torched in his driveway back in 2015 and a month after Angelo was killed Pat’s home was sprayed with bullets.
Pat was targeted once again last year. He was shot on April 25, 2019 in a Mississauga, Ont. parking lot while leaving his lawyer’s office at around 7 a.m.
The family’s patriarch, Pat and Angelo’s uncle, Tony Musitano died of natural causes at the age of 72 in April 2019. He was described as a former mobster.
No threat to public safety, police say
In the aftermath of the Burlington, Ont. shooting, Halton Regional Police said there is no ongoing or immediate threat to public safety.
Speaking at the scene of the shooting just before 4 p.m., Const. Ryan Anderson with Halton Regional Police told reporters officers are searching for a male suspect who fled the area westbound on Plains Road East in a newer model grey four-door sedan with a sunroof, similar to an Infiniti Q50.
According to investigators, the suspect vehicle would have “fresh damage to the driver’s side in the area of the doors.”
No further suspect description has been provided by officials thus far.
“Our investigators are going to be doing an extensive investigation,” Anderson said. “We are going to be canvassing the area for evidence, cameras, those sorts of things. It requires a large road closure at this point and a large scene.”
“We do have some witnesses and we would love to hear from anyone else who may have seen something, who may have been driving in the area, who has a dashcam from the approximate time of 1 p.m. on Plains Road East in Burlington.”
Roads remain blocked off nearby as an investigation into the matter is conducted.
Anyone with further information is asked to contact police or Crime Stoppers.
@repost Divorce Law Firm